Thursday night is the scrap night for us. Here’s how I works; I take every fresh ingredient out of the fridge and create something around what’s left so that everything gets used up before I can order our next batch of fresh ingredients for the week. Sometimes, something completely different comes out of it like the recipe below…
1 pack baby peppers (I bought mine from Woolworths and it was a pack of 7)
½ cup fine bulgur
½ spring onion, finely chopped
½ handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
½ handful dill, finely chopped
1 tsp sumac
A pinch sweet paprika
A drizzle extra virgin olive oil
A drizzle freshly squeezed lemon juice
• Boil some water in the kettle.
• Place bulgur in a bowl, sprinkle with salt and pour the boiled water over it. Stir and fluff with a fork. Check to see if the bulgur is cooked. If it’s still a bit gritty repeat the process once again. I had to do it twice last night. Let it cool.
• Cut the top of the peppers, remove its membrane and seeds. Place skin-side-up in single layer on oven tray first. Grill until skins blister, wrap peppers in a clean cloth, stand for 5 minutes, peel away skin. Don’t overcook as they need to keep their shape so that they can be stuffed.
• Once the bulgur is cool enough, add chopped herbs and spring onions. Add rest of the ingredients and mix well.
• Arrange the peppers on a serving dish. Fill each one with bulgur and herbs. Serve.