I used to own a restaurant in Turkey where we did English food –including the real Shepherd’s Pie- so far away from the Motherland, England. Well, the recipe below is vegan and it is my Australian version of the one I used to make back in Turkey during my early vegetarian days. I made this when Mum was visiting and she –as a meat eater- approved.
1 tin Sanitarium Casserole Mince
1 small carrot, peeled and diced
1 cup garden peas, frozen
Bonsoy Soy Milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Nuttelex, to glaze
2 tsp Massel Gravy Mix Supreme
Salt and pepper
• Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces. Place them in a pot with some salt and boil until they are cooked thoroughly.
• Heat some oil in a pot. Fry the onions and the carrots until they are tender. Add the peas and casserole mix, stir well.
• Sprinkle the gravy mix and add just a little bit of water so that it dissolves properly. Season with salt and pepper.
• While you are giving the mince enough time to become acquainted with the other ingredients, prepare the mashed potato.
• Drain boiled potatoes and put them back into the very same pot with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Mash them well with a potato masher and add soy milk. I like my mash very soft so add the soy milk gradually until you reach the consistency you like.
• In individual ramekins, arrange the mince and cover them with mashed potato. Place the ramekins under the grill and grill for 5 minutes. Take them out and spread some Nuttelex with a knife and put them in the oven. Brown the top and serve immediately.