This is a tomato-based pizza with pineapple pieces, cornichons (tiny little pickled baby cucumbers), spring onion (shallots) and Cheezly vegan cheese. It came together on a day I skipped lunch. All of that was gone before 4 o’clock and I didn’t have dinner after that, naturally.
I may not have made the base myself but surely added something fresh with my homemade passata. I let it cool before I assembled the whole thing as the base is frozen. If you don’t have time to prepare your own passata, a store-bought one is fine too.
1 vegan pizza base I used Piero’s Wood Fired Pizza Base
2 large tomatoes
1 small clove garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
½ small tin pineapple (pineapple pieces, not slices)
5 cornichons, sliced thinly lengthways
1 spring onion (shallot), chopped finely
2.5cm piece from Cheezly Vegan Cheese, crumbled or grated
Salt and pepper
To make the fresh passata:
• Wash the tomatoes and halve. Carve out the bit that stalks go in.
• Place a vegetable grater into a small pot and grate the tomatoes.
• Add the crushed garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper.
• Cook over medium heat and let it cool.
To prepare the topping:
• Preheat the oven to 220C°.
• Remove pizza base from its package and place on a lightly greased baking tray.
• Spread the passata evenly over the pizza base, sprinkle the vegan cheese leaving a 2cm border around the edge, then pile on the pineapple pieces, cornichons and shallots.
• Drizzle a little olive oil over the pizza before cooking.
• Place the pizza in the oven and cook for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted.
• Remove pizza carefully from the oven, cut into 6 slices and enjoy.