Until I have my husband here as a guest writer with his fantastic Pad Thai recipe, I thought I’d better share May Kaidee’s recipe for the time being. Without being biased, I think his Pad Thai is way better than every other Pad Thai I have ever had so far, including the ones in the land of Pad Thai; Thailand.
Ingredients for Peanut Sauce:
1 tbsp oil
1 small tomato, peeled and chopped
1 tsp chilli paste
6 tbsp coconut milk
1 tbsp unsalted peanuts, toasted and chopped
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp lime juice
2 tsp vegetarian fish sauce or dark and light soy sauce mixture (half and half)
• Heat the oil in a wok. Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes start to lose their shape. Lower the heat and add the chilli paste. Stir and cook until fragrant.
• Add coconut milk, peanuts, brown sugar, lime juice and vegetarian fish sauce and stir until the sauce is thick and glossy.
2 tsp raw sugar dissolved in 8 tsp hot water
Pad Thai ingredients:
1 tbsp oil
1 garlic, crushed
1 small onion, sliced
1 small carrot, cut into small sticks
1/3 head broccoli, cut into small florets
1/3 block firm tofu, cubed (we use Earth Source firm tofu)
2 stalks lemongrass, thinly sliced
6 kaffir lime leaves, cut into ribbons
3 tbsp each dark and light soy sauce
1 tbsp liquid sugar
2 tsp rice vinegar
1 pack Pad Thai noodles (200gr), pre-soaked
½ cup bean sprouts, rinsed and drained well
1 tbsp ground peanuts
Peanut sauce for topping
• First you prepare the tofu by squeezing as much moisture out as possible with a clean tea towel. Cut the tofu into cubes and fry on high heat until crisp. Set aside.
• Heat the oil in a wok. Add the garlic, chilli paste, onion, tomato and tofu.
• Add mixed vegetables, lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves and stir fry.
• Add vegetarian fish sauce or dark and light soy sauce mixture, liquid sugar and rice vinegar to taste.
• Add noodles and bean sprouts and a little water if needed.
• Add the ground peanuts and tofu. Stir fry.
• Serve on a plate, topped with peanut sauce and sesame seeds.