Soy nuggets are from a local Australian company, the okra is from Egypt and my clay-pot is actually made in Malaysia. The dish itself is Turkish. Welcome to my global kitchen!
I decided to put two different versions of the dish together, covering all the good bits at one go. I believe, it worked really well. We had this dish with Antakya style Bulghur and Lentil Pilaf which complemented it perfectly.
Vegan Chicken and Okra in Clay-Pot
20 pieces Lamyong Soy Nuggets, thawed
1 cup frozen okra
2 small tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tsp Turkish chilli flakes
1 tsp dried mint
Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped coarsely
Juice of ½ lemon, freshly squeezed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
Rice or bulgur pilaf to serve
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
• Brown the soy nuggets in enough oil and set aside.
• Arrange the layers of tomato, okra, parsley and soy nuggets in a clay-pot. Add the chilli flakes, mint and lemon juice. Drizzle with the oil and season to taste.
• Place the clay-pot in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until tomatoes release their juice and okra is cooked thoroughly.
• Serve with pilaf (rice or bulghur).
Note: You could substitute soy nuggets with cooked chickpeas.