VeganMoFo Day 2 and today is my husband’s birthday. Happy Birthday Darling! As usual, I will be cooking one his favourite dishes. I am not telling you which dish it is because that would spoil my surprise as he follows VegFusion. Don’t despair, I will publish it later on.
Instead, I have Red Lentil Patties recipe for you today. And it goes like this…
Red Lentil Patties (Mercimek Köftesi)
1 cup whole red lentils
½ cup bulgur (fine variety)
1 large onion, chopped finely
2 tbsp concentrated tomato paste
Handful continental parsley, chopped finely
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika or chilli flakes if you prefer
Salt and pepper
• Pick through the lentil to remove any rocks and wash and drain them.
• Add the lentils and 2 cups of water to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat down. Skim the white foamy bit with a slotted spoon. Rinse the spoon every now and then and continue skimming the foam until there is no foam is formed by the cooking process. Drain and return to the same saucepan. Add the bulgur and stir well. Place the lid and let the mixture steep until the bulgur is fluffy.
• Heat the oil in another pan and fry onions until they are thoroughly cooked. Add the tomato paste, cumin, sweet paprika, salt and pepper. Stir well.
• Combine the fried onion mixture with the lentil and bulgur. Add finely chopped parsley and knead the mixture until smooth when hot. Add salt and pepper.
• Shape them up like koftas and serve.
Note: I strongly recommend you use plastic gloves while kneading the mixture as well as shaping the koftas.
Serving Suggestions: These koftas are usually served with lettuce leaves and onion salad.