There are many Turkish ingredients I can easily get in Sydney but it means a long trip to a distant suburb called Auburn. Because of that, my husband and I don’t go there very often but when we do, we stock up well –sometimes way beyond our storage capacity. Mostly pantry items though as they don’t go bad in a hurry.
Last Thursday, we were going to be in the area so we thought it would be good to drop in and get some ingredients. After picking up our usual suspects, what did I find at the vegetable section? Fresh purslane! I immediately made my favourite Purslane Salad with Yoghurt and it was so delicious. Although I was so happy to be able to get purslane in Sydney, it is still a treat I enjoy alone because my husband doesn’t like it. Well, you can’t please everyone.
Purslane Salad with Yoghurt
1 bunch purslane
1 cup Greek style yoghurt
1 clove garlic, crushed
A drizzle extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
• In a salad bowl, mix together the yoghurt, salt, crushed garlic and the olive oil. If the yoghurt is too thick add a little water.
• Wash the purslane and drain well. Remove leaves from the bunch and chop the stalks if they are not too thick. Add the purslane to the yoghurt mix and stir well.
• Place the salad onto a serving plate and sprinkle with chilli flakes and serve.
• Try making this salad with the addition of cucumber and fresh dill.
• Or add some nuts like walnuts.