We love our Sanitarium Bacon Style Rashers. They are incredibly versatile and easy to get, too! I buy ours from Woolworths online and get them delivered with our weekly groceries. Great source of protein, high in iron, zinc and vitamin B12 but also high in sodium, too (unfortunately).
Ingredients: Water, vegetable protein (15%) (soy protein, wheat protein), canola oil, oats, flavours (contain soy and wheat), free range egg white, starch (wheat, tapioca), sugar, yeast extract, vegetable gum (carrageenan), mineral salt (potassium chloride), fermented rice, minerals (zinc, iron), wheat fibre, acidity regulator (citric acid), emulsifier (soy lecithin), vitamin B12.
Allergens: Contains soy, cereals containing gluten and egg. May contain peanut.
Where to get Sanitarium Bacon Style Rashers
Sanitarium Bacon Style Rashers are available from Coles, Woolworths (including Wollworths online) and IGA.
Where to use Sanitarium Bacon Style Rashers
Breakfast (see recipes below)
Mushroom and Vegetarian Bacon on Toast
A handful button mushrooms, quartered
2 rashers Sanitarium Bacon Style Rashers, cut into thin strips
1 spring onion (shallot), chopped
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 large slice or 2 small pieces of bread of your choice
butter or margarine
Salt and pepper
• Heat the oil in a pan and first fry the faux-bacon strips until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
• Add more oil to the pan and sauté the mushrooms on high heat, stirring all the way through until they are cooked.
• Meanwhile, toast the bread and spread with butter or margarine.
• Add the spring onion (shallot) and faux- bacon to the pan and lightly cook them.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Place the mixture over your toasts, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Vegetarian Big Breakfast from Vegie Delight
Here’s a healthy twist on a classic recipe.
4 eggs, lightly beaten
8 slices Vegie Delights Bacon Style Rashers
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 English muffins, wholemeal or multigrain
1 pack green sprouts (snowpea sprouts or alfalfa), optional
• Cook egg in a non-stick frying pan stirring every few seconds until set but still soft. Set aside.
• Cook Vegie Delights Bacon Style Rashers with oil for 1-2 minutes, turning once.
• Divide scrambled egg evenly over 4 muffin bases, followed by 2 Bacon Style Rashers per muffin and top with green sprouts.
• Cover with second half of the muffin and serve.
Tips: Keep the muffin tops tilted, or arrange very lightly on the filling so as to reveal the rashers and scrambled eggs. The green sprouts lighten this dish, adding vitamins. They also give a fresher look to the filling.