The idea of creating a salad recipe with orzo came from one the VegFusion followers, Mary. The rest of it was shaped up by the contents of my fridge which was not much actually. Because, someone forgot to do grocery shopping for the week.
During the weekend, we poped in to Victoria’s Basement to replace our wine glasses and while at the shop, I spotted some salad bowls made from recycled glass. They are the right size for serving individual salads and each one has its own imperfection which is in itself… perfect!
½ cup orzo
1 bunch asparagus, 7 spears, cut into 1 inch pieces
A handful flat leaf parsley, washed and chopped finely
2 spring onions, finely chopped
½ tbsp vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ pack Cheezly Mature White Cheddar Style, crumbled or grated
Salt and pepper
• In a medium sauce pan, bring some water to boil. Add ½ tsp salt. Stir in orzo. Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain orzo and set aside.
• In a frying pan, sauté asparagus in olive oil until asparagus is tender.
• Put the orzo in a medium bowl and add in the asparagus, chopped spring onion, half the vegan cheese and parsley.
• Whisk together crushed garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil. Stir in the salad.
• Sprinkle the remainder of the vegan cheese over the top of the salad. Serve cold.