A healthy combination of green vegetables and legumes. Fresh lemon juice and garlic lift the dish up and parsley gives it a fresh finish.
1/2 kilo okra
A small tin chickpeas
1 tblsp tomato paste (if you are using supermarket bought tomato paste you may need to use more than 1 tblsp to get the right consistency in sauce)
1 clove garlic
Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
A handful parsley (chopped)
• Wash and drain okra and with a sharp knife peel the top of okra keeping its cubic shape. Chop onion.
• In a large bowl, dilute tomato paste, add paprika and pepper. Add more water.
• In another bowl, mix crushed garlic and lemon juice. Put aside.
• Heat olive oil in a pot, add onion and salt. Fry onion over medium heat until cooked thoroughly.
• Add chickpeas and okra and stir well. Cover them with diluted tomato paste and spice mix. Adjust water level if necessary. Put the lid on and continue cooking. Once the sauce boils reduce heat and simmer until okra is cooked.
• When it’s time to turn the heat off add garlic and lemon juice but do not stir as okra has the tendency to go slimy.
• Sprinkle chopped parsley and serve.