I was introduced to Hokey Pokey Biscuits by Mum when I was in New Zealand. Immediately I understood why John has been raving about them. Because they are absolutely delicious! During one of our visits to Mum and Dad’s, I copied the recipe from Mum’s recipe book so that I could bake them at home. I have just spoken to Mum and asked her if it was alright to publish her Sultana Hokey Pokey Biscuits recipe here on VegFusion. She said she would be delighted! There you go, Peoples…
Mum’s Sultana Hokey Pokey Biscuits
4 ounces/125 grams butter
4 ounces/125 grams sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup sultanas
1 tablespoon milk
1 ½ cup flour
• Cut the butter in small pieces and place it in a pot. Add sugar, golden syrup, baking soda, sultanas and milk and melt all ingredients. When cooled, add the flour.
• Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/ Gas Mark 4.
• Knead the whole mixture and roll into teaspoon size balls. Place them on a lightly oiled oven tray –space them out depending on the size of your oven tray as they will expand and use two trays if necessary. Flatten with a fork.
• Bake for 20 minutes. However, ovens vary and these biscuits tend to burn easily. So, it’s best to keep an eye on them while baking.
• Place Hokey Pokey Biscuits on a cookie rack and cool. When you’re ready… dig in.