Mücver are basically zucchini patties eaten as starters. There are many varieties. A friend of mine even uses shredded lettuce in them. The one with leeks is quite popular too. We had these last night as a side dish to Fry’s Vegetarian Schnitzels and pan-fried Dutch carrots with asparagus.
The recipe below makes 12 Mücvers (Zucchini Fritters)
Mücver (Zucchini Fritters) with Vegan Sour Cream Dip
Ingredients for the patties:
2 large zucchini
2 spring onion
1/2 bunch dill
1 free-range egg
2 tbsp flour (heaped)
1 tsp ground sweet paprika
Salt and pepper
Oil for frying
Ingredients for Yoghurt Dip:
4 tbsp Farmers Union Greek Style Natural Yoghurt
1 clove garlic
1 tsp dried mint
• Grate zucchini onto a large, flat plate and let it stand until it is time mix it with the other ingredients.
• In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg, flour, sweet paprika, freshly cracked pepper and mix well so that there are no lumps.
• Wash and finely chop dill and spring onions.
• Finally, squeeze out the moisture of zucchini with your hands in small batches until all is processed. Combine zucchini with the remainder of ingredients. Set aside.
• In the meantime, peel and crush garlic into a bowl. Add yoghurt and mint and mix well.
• Heat the oil in a shallow frying pan. If you are going to use egg rings oil them with a pastry brush on the inside so the patties will come out without sticking. Once the oil and your egg rings are hot, drop heaped tablespoons of the mixture in each ring (They usually come in set of 6. If you are going to use all the mixture use them twice until there are 12 patties all together).
• Make sure the mixture is evenly distributed within the rings. Shallow-fry zucchini patties for 2-3 minutes and remove the rings. Turn them over and keep on frying until well browned all over.
• Drain well on paper towels and serve hot with yoghurt dip.