VeganMoFo Day 15
I absolutely love harissa. I wish I could use it more in my cooking without blowing our brains out. I don’t think it is possible as the main ingredient is chilli. I mean a lot of chilli.
Harissa is Tunisian hot chilli sauce. I buy the spice mixture and make my own marinade from it. So far, I successfully made faux-chicken and other vegetable dishes using this mixture. Next time, I will be using it in a couscous dish.
The recipe serves 2.
1/3 pack extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
1 banana chilli, seeded and cut into squares
½ red onion, peeled and quartered
4 bamboo sticks for skewering
1 cup couscous
1 cup boiled water
1 tsp sea salt
For the marinade:
4 tbsp light olive oil
2 tsp harissa spice mixture (dry)
• Whisk together the spice mixture and oil. Place the tofu cubes in a Tupperware with a lid. Pour over the marinade and shake well. Put it in the fridge
• Refrigerate for at least an hour, or overnight.
• Thread the tofu cubes and vegetables onto the skewers alternating in a sequence like tofu, onion, pepper and the same until all four skewers are full.
• Heat the flavoured oil from the marinade in a large frying pan and fry the kebabs until they are brown all around. You will need to turn them over frequently and press them against the surface to create more even cooking.
• Prepare the couscous by placing it in a bowl with sea salt. Pour over the boiled water and fluff it up with a fork. The couscous is ready when all the water is absorbed.
• When the kebabs are all cooked and ready to go, serve them on a bed of couscous.
To get the kebabs off the skewers: Hold the skewer from the blunt end and steady the other end on a plate. Slide off the contents with a fork. Discard the skewers.