As some of you may not know, I have just signed up for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and started to write my first novel. It is tough Peoples. Some days are better than the others but I have managed to write over 25,000 words in 14 days! Wish me luck Peoples 🙂
The recipe below is something I created for the purpose of submitting to BestRecipes easy Italian recipes competition. However, by the time I finished cooking, taking the photo and writing up the recipe, the competition was closed. I don’t even know if the ones I submitted a day before are now included in the competition or not but this one certainly isn’t. So it’s all yours 🙂
Creamy Lemon Fettucine with Mushroom, Spinach and Pine Nuts
The clean taste of lemon adds a wonderful tang to this rich and creamy pasta dish and really lifts the flavours.
Wine suggestion: Marc Bredif Vouvray Classic (2013)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
200 gram fettucine
50 gram butter
2 tbsp pine nuts
4 tbsp double cream
½ bunch spinach (leaves only), roughly chopped
200 gram king oyster mushrooms, sliced
150 gram oyster mushroom, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 lemon, rind only
Salt and pepper to taste
• Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions until tender. Drain well.
• Melt half the butter in a small pan over medium heat. Add the pine kernels and cook until golden brown. Set aside.
• Heat the rest of the butter in a frying pan and add the mushrooms. Fry the mushrooms for about 15 minutes or until they are tender.
• Put the cream in a large saucepan and bring slowly to the boil, whisking until smooth. Add the mushrooms, fettuccine, pine nuts, crushed garlic, lemon rind and lemon juice. Cook for another 2 minutes. Add the spinach and mix well. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
• Season with salt and pepper and serve warm.