Corn Fritters are an excellent addition to any party buffet, and very simple to make. I remember making these delicious fritters at the time we had Berfu staying with us. It was an instant hit with her. At the time, I served them with Avocado Cream Topping, however, they are nice with Tartare sauce, too.
Avocado Cream Topping
1 large ripe avocado, halved and stoned
Juice of ½ lemon, freshly squeezed
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon snipped chives
Salt and pepper
• Mash the avocado with a fork in their skin and transfer into a bowl. Pour over the lemon juice.
• Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Set aside.
1 cup frozen corn or tinned corn kernels
1 large egg
1 spring onion, chopped
A handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Vegetable oil for frying
• If you’re using frozen corn, boil the kernels in enough water. Once cooked, drain and cool.
• If you’re using tinned corn kernels, drain the content of the tin, rinse and pat dry.
• In a medium-sized bowl, beat the egg until it’s smooth and fluffy. Add the spring onion, flat leaf parsley, all-purpose flour, salt and pepper. Whisk together again until the mixture is smooth.
• Oil the inside of egg rings even if they are non-stick.
• Heat the oil in a frying pan (skillet). Place all egg rings in the pan. Drop tablespoons of the mixture carefully into the rings. If you’re not using the egg rings, just drop tablespoons of the mixture onto the hot oil, far enough apart for them not to run into each other as they cook.
• Cook for 4-5 minutes, turning each fritter once, until they are golden brown and firm. Take care not to turn them too soon, or they will break up in the pan.
• With a knife, cut the edges of the fritters while they’re still in the rings. By using a pair of tongs, lift the rings and leave the fritters in the pan. At that stage of cooking, they should be firm. If you want to achieve more colour, just turn them over cook a little bit more.
• Remove the fritters from the pan with a spatula and drain on paper towels. Serve quickly while still warm with Avocado Cream Topping on top.