My first quinoa recipe on VegFusion ever! I have been thinking of using this healthy ingredient more in my cooking especially after visiting Peru -that was in 2007 by the way- but obviously thinking has been the only thing I did so far. In Peru, we had quinoa bars and quinoa and vegetable soups. After we came back, I kind of forgot about it and my occasional stock ended up having some living-breathing things in it and of course, that had to be replaced with a fresh pack. Then one day I decided I couldn’t ignore quinoa any more. And I made a salad…
Colourful Quinoa Salad with Roasted Capsicum Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
½ red capsicum, washed and deseeded
½ yellow capsicum, washed and deseeded
½ green capsicum, washed and deseeded
Handful fresh coriander, washed and chopped
¼ cup sunflower seeds or walnuts
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt and pepper
• Wash the quinoa and drain through a large fine mesh strainer.
• Place in a pot with the water and bring to a boil, as soon as it starts to boil, turn the heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes. I tend to stir it to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pot at this stage.
• Remove from heat and set aside to cool, fluffing it with a fork every now and then.
• Place the capsicum under the grill and cook them until their skin blisters. Remove from the oven and place a clean tea towel over them. Once they are cool enough, peel the skin and cut them into strips.
• Blend dressing ingredients with a whisk or shake in a jar.
• Gently combine the roasted capsicums, sunflower seeds or walnuts, quinoa and dressing in a large bowl. Cover and chill, or serve immediately.
Note: Quinoa can be made ahead of time and refrigerated.