Whenever my husband is away, I cook all sorts of dishes he wouldn’t normally eat, like beans and lentils. And I cook mostly stews or casseroles. These dishes are not only quite filing and healthy but also heat well the next day so I you could still have food for your lunch.
Anyway, here’s the recipe for Brown Lentil and Vegetable Stew
1 x tin brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 small carrot, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 small potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
2 heaped tsp vegan stock powder (beef style)
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp vegetable oil
A handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
Freshly squeezed lemon juice
Salt and black pepper
• Heat the oil in a pot and add the vegetables. Fry them briefly then add just enough water to cover the vegetables. Stir in vegan stock powder, onion powder, garlic powder, ground cumin and turmeric. Cook until the vegetables are slightly firm.
• Add the brown lentil and more water. Salt to taste and stir well.
• When it starts boiling, put the lid on and reduce the heat. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
• Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
• Serve warm with bread or pilaf or both.