I used to use Sanitarium vegetarian mince in this recipe but it is now a discontinued product. So I use the tin variety from their Vegie Delight line. A real time saver with Macro Wholefoods Organic Basil & Tomato pasta sauce.
½ pack spaghetti or any other type of pasta (clearly, I used penne)
½ tin Sanitarium Vegie Delights casserole mince in gravy
1 brown onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic
1 jar Macro Wholefoods Organic Basil & Tomato pasta sauce
1 teaspoon Massel Stock Powder Chicken Style
1 tablespoon Nuttelex
¼ bunch Continental parsley (you could substitute parsley with basil if you prefer)
Grated parmesan or vegan substitute
Salt and pepper
• Start by placing a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.
• Peel onion and garlic. Chop onion, crush garlic. Wash parsley, dry and chop finely. Set aside.
• To make the Bolognese sauce, heat oil in a pot which is large enough for the whole sauce. Add onion and fry until onion is cooked thoroughly.
• Empty the whole tin of Sanitarium Vegie Delights casserole mince and continue stirring. Add crushed garlic and stock powder until garlic gives out its aroma. Then add pasta sauce and simmer for 5 minutes. Before you remove your sauce from heat stir in chopped parsley.
• Meanwhile, cook pasta according to packet instructions. I use organic spaghetti from Macro Wholefoods which needs about 12 minutes.
• Once pasta is cooked, drain well and return to the pot. Stir through with Nuttelex -although, if you want to mix Bolognese sauce with your pasta you may want to skip this step.
• Divide pasta into plates, top with the sauce and sprinkle with grated parmesan or vegan substitute and cracked pepper. Serve warm.
Note: Macro Wholefoods Organic Basil & Tomato pasta sauce is still around. However, they now come in 500 grams jars which is too much for us. Because of that I switched to Barilla’s Bolognese Sauce.