This is a style of salad we really enjoy. The combination of arugula, pear, walnuts and a sharp, statement making cheese is just divine. As a Virgo, I just love it when things just… work.
Metal plate in this photo was my grandmother’s -the actual serving plate she used at her home. She gave me this one along with other pieces while she was still alive and I am incredibly grateful for it. The saddle bag underneath is a present from our friends who live in Saudi Arabia at the moment which was purchased from Dessert Designs in Al Khobar, in case you’re wondering.
Arugula and Pear Salad with Raw Walnut and Vegan Blue Cheese
• Pears change colour when exposed to air so you really need to prepare this salad just before serving.
• Cheezly blue cheese is a melting cheese but if you mash it with a fork soon after you take it out of the fridge it crumbles. Once it is room temperature, you’d struggle to get that crumbled cheese effect.
• If you don’t have the blue cheese, Cheezly Mature Cheddar Style Cheese works just fine. Just make sure you don’t use a mild-tasting cheese, that’s all.
1 pack arugula, washed and torn into smaller pieces
1 pear, washed and sliced
½ cup raw walnut pieces, roughly chopped
1 piece (2 inches) disk cut from the roll Cheezly blue cheese
Juice ½ lemon
Drizzle balsamic vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
• Add arugula, sliced pear, walnut pieces to a salad bowl and carefully toss to combine. Top them up with crumbled blue cheese.
• Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and pour over the salad.
• Toss together again and serve immediately.